Friday, January 7, 2011

New Recipe: Nauvoo Potato Casserole/Funeral Potatoes (from Karene Dix)

My Rating:  Really great comfort food.  Takes longer to cook than my normal dishes though. :)
A dear friend of mine passed away and I signed up to help with food for the luncheon.  Sister Dix called and asked me if I would make funeral potatoes.  I said that I would, but because I have never made them before I would need a recipe.  She sent me this one.  I thought it was so yummy looking as I was making it in the morning that I decided to make another batch for dinner that night for us.  Obviously this is not healthy at all, but really great for some comfort food.  I served it with Mini Meatloaves, steamed broccoli, and a green salad.  I am not really into frozen potatoes, so I used the brand Simply Potatoes that are refrigerated.  The diced potatoes come with onion already.  I used 3 bags (the bags are smaller) for this recipe.  I also used one can cream of mushroom soup and one cream of chicken.  I used butter instead of margarine and actually did not mix any butter in with the cornflakes at the end.  I just sprinkled them on top.

Nauvoo Potato Casserole (or Funeral Potatoes)
2 bags frozen potatoes, diced or shredded, thawed
2 cans cream of chicken soup
¼ cup margarine, melted
1 pint sour cream
½ cup green or white onions, chopped
1 ½ cups grated cheese
3 cups cornflakes, crushed (topping)
Mix altogether in a large bowl, except the cornflakes. Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees covered with foil for 1 ¼ – 1 ½ hours.  Mix cornflakes with 2 Tbs. melted marg., sprinkle on top of baked casserole.
Note: If using 1 ½ lb. bags of potatoes, it will make one 9 x 13 dish. (more creamy)
If using 2 lb. bags of potatoes, it will make a 9 x 13 dish and an 8 x 8 dish. (Less creamy but good)

No comments:

Post a Comment