Monday, June 7, 2010

Grandpa Millar

Grandpa Millar passed away on Memorial Day (May 31st).  Today was his funeral.  Now we all know that funerals are for the living and not the dead.  I feel very, very sad not to be in California right now with family, remembering the good times with Grandpa.  Unfortunately, because of my pregnancy complications, traveling is out of the question for me right now.

I remember Grandpa with a smile on his face.  When I was younger, he always tickled me...at the dinner table, watching TV, anytime I got within arm's reach, there he was--tickling me!   Grandpa always had stories to tell and lots of life experience under his belt.  Grandpa was a very patient teacher.  I was just 10 or 11 when he attempted to teach Carolyn and I to drive his tractor.  I don't know if I would have been so brave, but it made me feel grown up and special to have that time with him.  Grandpa could turn a stressful situation into something to tease and laugh about.  Something about a tractor and a barn roof comes to mind.

Grandpa was very accepting of people and helped them feel included.  When Juan first started going up to the farm with me, Grandpa got some hot sauce to keep on hand just for Juan.  Juan loved to talk about the farm with Grandpa.  They talked about the avocado trees and other gardening topics.  They also talked about building and fixing things.

Luz got to meet Grandpa July 2008 when she was around 7 months old.  They saw each other again around Halloween 2009.

I know that life was not always easy for Grandpa.  One thing I am hoping to carry on as part of his legacy is a positive attitude and a smile on my face, even when things are tough.  I love you and will miss you Grandpa!!!

Grandma, Jacob, Grandpa - October 2009

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. Made me cry (again). I miss him so much.

    christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete