Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New Recipe: Chile Cheese Polenta (from the Rice Dream carton)

My Rating: Easy and Creamy
My cravings for creaminess have taken me to a new level of experimentation.  Texture seems to be HUGE with me this pregnancy and one of those amazing textures is creamy.  I found this recipe on the back of the Rice Dream carton...kind of funny...and decided to try it.  I loved polenta as a missionary in Argentina and sadly have not done much with it in the past 10 years.  I couldn't find polenta at the 2 grocery stores I went to, so I ended up using Quaker yellow corn meal.  It worked beautifully.  I could have used Rice Dream and probably should have, but I happened to have a lot of milk in my fridge today, so I used milk instead.  As for the other ingredients, I used diced chilies, a regular store brand of corn, jack cheese, and did not add any salt or pepper.  I think we all sprinkled some pepper on our individual bowls.  Next time I might use an additional cup of milk so it will be a little bit thinner consistency.  Enjoy!

Recipe:
1-7 oz. can diced green chilies or jalapenos, drained
1 cup Westbrae Natural whole kernel corn, drained
4 cups Rice Dream Original
1 cup dry polenta or course ground corn meal
1/2 cup shredded cheese
3 tablespoons butter
Hain Sea Salt and pepper
In medium saucepan, bring chilies, corn and Rice Dream to a boil.  Slowly add polenta, whisking constantly until smooth, about 6 minutes.  Mix in cheese and butter.  Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment