Sunday, August 15, 2010

Book Review: How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez (Fiction)

My Rating: I read someone else's review and thought this book might be a good fit for me, but sadly, I was very disappointed.  I did not think it was very well-written, very entertaining, and it was somewhat vulgar.
Appropriate for: Adults
From the back cover: When their father's part in a plot against a cruel dictator forces them to flee the Dominican Republic, the Garcia sisters--Carla, Sandra, Yolanda, and Sofia--come to America.  In America, the Garcia girls try to assimilate into the mainstream.  Through it all, they remain caught between the old world and the new.  Julia Alvarez is also an immigrant from the Dominican Republic, so I wondered if some of this was biographical.  She says that it is fiction.  What I did enjoy about this book was that it started in the present and went backward.  I thought that was an interesting way to write and gave more understanding as time went back.

No comments:

Post a Comment