Monday, August 9, 2010

More Meatless Meals

About a year ago I embarked on a journey of a healthier lifestyle.  It all started when I began running every evening as part of my Personal Progress project.  Exercising has always had a certain effect on me...that is, when I am working hard to get fit, I naturally tend to watch what I am putting into my body very closely.  About the same time, I read several books on nutrition and decided to start phasing out the meat.  I had to start slowly and gradually I have achieved about a twice per week meal plan that includes meat.  The other days we simply have plant strong meals.  Luckily we love beans around here, so that covers it most nights.  Since Matthew and Stephanie have been living with us, they each take a turn to cook and their nights pretty much cover us meat-wise.  Tonight I made an amazing stir fry in my new-to-me wok.  (Thanks Grandma!)  It was very exciting!  I told Luz it was my new toy, and she gave me a funny look. :)  One thing I love about this meal are the colors!  Green onions, green beans, broccoli, celery, red peppers, orange peppers, yellow peppers, carrots, mushrooms.  Another thing I love is that everything was fresh.  I served it over brown rice.


Some may laugh at my endeavors, but I lost 30 pounds beyond the pregnancy with Luz weight-gain.  So far I do not have gestational diabetes this time around.  And although I am large and pregnant and unable to exercise right now, I am not on complete bedrest yet.  All of those things make it very "worth it" to me to have a healthier lifestyle.  Not to mention any future benefits for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment